How to Replace Shingles
- 1. Find the leaky shingle(s). Then lift up the tabs on the shingle above the problematic area.
- 2. Pry out the nails of the leaky shingle with a pay bar or hammer claw. Then remove the bad shingle(s).
- 3. Check the exposed underlayment. If you seen torn or missing pieces, patch over it with new underlayment. Cut off a piece that’s half a foot larger on either side, slip it in under the surrounding shingles, and staple it in place.
- 4. To install the new shingles, start at the lowest part of your roof and work upward. Before driving nails in, lift up the necessary shingle tabs.
- 5. Affix a bead of roofing cement to the underside of the final shingle before putting it into place.