Difference between Hard Water and Soft Water
The main difference between hard and soft water is the mineral content. Minerals commonly found in hard water are chalk, lime, calcium, and magnesium. Rain water is naturally soft but picks up these minerals as it runs through the ground. Hard water can cause problems in the house but it does have its uses. It is generally preferred as drinking water because of the minerals and the taste.
Hard Water Problems
Calcium, lime, and magnesium cause the problems commonly associated with hard water. Here are some of the most common issues:
- There are spots on dishes after cleaning.
- There is soap scum in the tub and shower.
- Scale buildup and drain clogging is frequently occurring in the tub and shower.
- The clothes are dingy after going through the washer.
- Large amounts of sediment are present at the bottom of the water heater each month.
These signs are a good indication of hard water but there are more conclusive methods you can use to test your home’s water.