Whether your move is local or across country, you’ll have a smoother move if you plan wisely. On the next few pages you’ll find some tips and tricks I’ve learned during the dozen or so moves I’ve made during my adult life.
First Gather All Packing Supplies
My suggestions are:
- Boxes (From small to protect little breakables to wardrobe for clothing.)
- Packing Tape
- Lined Paper Labels (printables at end)
- Multi-Colored Permanent Markers (I color code each room)
- Glue Sticks
- Clear Contact Paper (for protecting labels)
- Bubble Wrap
- Old Newspapers or Packing Peanuts
- Multi-Colored Pack of Construction Paper and Painters Tape
For things you know will stay in boxes for awhile after the move, such as out of season clothing, fabric and craft supplies, or seasonal decorations, it’s nice to have plastic lidded tubs. I like to buy these in the color chosen for the room they belong in to make for easily identifying them in the storage room. If you use all cardboard boxes then cut a piece of construction paper in the rooms color and attach to each side of the box.